Monday, March 17, 2014

Willie's Reaction: Raising A son With Special Needs



And the wait is over...Willie was accepted at Camphill Soltane at 7:40 AM today.

My reaction was to scream with joy and relief, to hug my husband, and to genuinely relax about Willie's future. I never thought to call Willie at school and tell him the news. That isn't because I am insensitive to his needs but because he gives such little feedback about these things that I can forget.

Once I arrived at work and shared my news at 8:01 AM,  my friend said "have you called Willie yet?" That caught me off guard for of course he needed to know.

So at 8:06 AM, I called Willie. This is not our usual phone call day so I knew I had captured Willie's attention. After I told him, he said, in a neutral voice hinting at irritation and relief, "Well, it's about time."  (And the thing is, he is absolutely right. Without going into details, this decision took way too long as there were some complications that had nothing to do with him.) Then Willie immediately continued to tell me about the pig they were taking to slaughter that day.  I commented on that but then re-directed Willie to the reason for my call.  He was done talking about that however and continued on with other farm happenings.

At 8:09 AM, I told Willie I had to hang up but that I had just wanted to share the good news. His reaction was: "What good news?"  Now you have to know and understand Willie to completely "get" that comment.  On the one hand, he was all done talking about the good news as it is what he assumed would happen all along, with none of the grave concerns I had been haunted by. On the other hand, Willie is afraid of this change so he will now avoid talking about his move to Camphill Soltane. (Until it gets closer and becomes all he can speak of.)  Additionally, his brain takes in and processes information so differently than mine, or a typical brain, that his reaction must be seen through an alternative lens.

It is BECAUSE of Willie's reaction that he so deserves and needs to make his home at Camphill Soltane in the first place.

And it is about time! Such glorious news!






To learn more about Camphill Soltane go to www.camphillsoltane.org

No comments:

Post a Comment