Thursday, April 24, 2014

Inclusion vs. Segregation?: Raising A Son With Special Needs









From my email this morning I read a succinct and
provocative summary of the issue of whether to educate our children in Inclusion or to keep them Segregated in separate classrooms and schools. Read all about at: http://bloomparentingkidswithdisabilities.blogspot.com/2014/04/two-solitudes.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Bloom-ParentingKidsWithDisabilities+%28BLOOM+-+Parenting+Kids+With+Disabilities%29.

This is an issue near and dear to my heart as I have argued, pushed, advocated, and fought for both throughout Willie's Education over the past 18 years. I intuitively know that Willie thrived because of both scenarios. He has been in a "Segregated Residential School,"  aka: Most Restrictive Environment, over the past 5 years, and has grown and developed beyond my wildest dreams.  I would never have done it any other way. But back in 3Rd through 7Th grades, Willie was in an Inclusive Classroom in our local community, Least Restrictive Environment, and gained valuable social and educational benefits. 


In the end, I am sure that Inclusion and Segregation are both right for our Special Needs Kids.  What a tough road to navigate as parents. But if we drop the labels: Inclusion, Segregation, Least Restrictive, Most Restrictive, then perhaps we can just maybe find the truth. And like all kids, our kids' truths will continue to change and evolve. Our job is a tough one. 








No comments:

Post a Comment