Monday, August 20, 2018

The Dental Ordeal: Raising A Son With Special Needs

Within 5 minutes of meeting with the Oral Surgeon for a consult on Willie's decayed tooth, he turned us away.

"I have experience working with big and strong people like him, and I cannot help you," is what he said to us.

When I asked for a referral to a dentist who would help Willie, that Oral Surgeon said "call your dentist."

As we awkwardly left the office and returned to our car, Willie asked me some hard and insightful questions I cannot find the answers to.

"Why is Dr. L able to help my brothers and sister, but not me?"

Then he commented "oh great, he wants to send me to the hospital to fix my tooth where they will restrain me."

And all by himself, later on, unprompted by me, Willie said "Why do some people think those of us with Disabilities are DANGEROUS?"

This was the second dentist that turned Willie away.  The first one literally said to me after looking in Willie's mouth and deciding he couldn't help him, that he had experience working with CATTLE so Willie's agitation and fear were something he could handle.

I need someone to fix Willie's tooth.  Our regular dentist said he knew no one who could help Willie.

I've thought of calling the newspaper to report this blatant DISCRIMINATION.

For now, I will write about our horrific experience here.

I am also sending a frank and firm letter to the Oral Surgeon to advise him to get some SENSITIVITY training.

Willie keeps asking me what will happen to this Oral Surgeon, as he knows he has been mistreated?

Please let me know if you have similar experiences and what you do to solve them.


No comments:

Post a Comment