Thursday, September 8, 2016

Man's Best Friend: Raising A Son With Special Needs

There is a cliche in the Disability Community that all people with Disabilities love animals. In Willie's case, it is true. He always has loved animals and has quite an encyclopedic knowledge of them, from Armadillos to the Giant Squid.

Lucky for Willie, we are pet people. We have always had dogs and cats. Willie still mourns the death of our canines, Luck and Asha, for he likes to ponder the dark side. Our latest dog, Lana, however is his all time favorite. She just happens to be super connected to humans. Willie is drawn to her, just like the cliche infers. Lana calms and soothes Willie, she keeps him company constantly, and they are truly best buds.  When Willie is home, Lana likes to spend her time, in Willie's room, preferably with him in his twin size bed!

Willie was home for the whole month of August. Lana and Willie bonded even more then ever, if that is possible. As Willie was getting ready to move into yet another new house, he asked if Lana could come live with him. It was sweet.

When I spoke to Willie on the phone last night, he sounded glum. He told me he missed home, which breaks my heart. Then he said he missed Lana. I felt even worse.  For I think I know that Willie does best in his community away from us.  I hope that Willie has the broader opportunities to grow and evolve away from us at Soltane Bridges.  I usually know that Willie is supposed to grow up and move away from us, as all our other children are in the process of doing. But from that tiny glimpse into his heart, as he was truly missing Lana, I doubted all my assumptions.

Later that evening as my heart was hurting, wondering if our choices for Willie were good ones, I glanced Lana laying in the hall, looking as sad as ever.  She truly misses Willie as much as he misses her.  Maybe she should go live with Willie? Or he should live here at home with his "Best Friend" Lana?

No comments:

Post a Comment