Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Willie=Litmus Test for Human Connection: Raising A Son With Special Needs

This is Willie: the inspiration for this Blog.  I know I am partial, but look at that face.  Doesn't  he just inspire goodness? Maybe you just have to spend time with him to actually "get it." He is just so friendly. Willie never met a person he didn't want to talk with. He exudes friendliness, openness,  and connection.

I had the opportunity to travel alone with Willie this past weekend. Never have I had this chance, as we have a large family. And frankly, I am afraid to take Willie out in public alone.  I never know what will set him off and how bad his meltdown will be.  I have avoided this scenario for many, many years. This weekend was an opportunity I didn't choose but decided to risk, for there was no other option.  And guess what? It was the best 24 hours I have ever spent with my Willie alone, ever!

What I noticed as we traveled from Massachusetts to New York was Willie's zest for connection to others. Everywhere we went he had something to say to whomever was there.  His comments, an attempt to build a friendship of sorts, were not inappropriate. Sure, they were unusual from such a young man this age, but they were mostly "on topic" and meant to forge a commonality.

And I saw something I never noticed before. Willie was able to capture the attention and friendliness from most people he ran into. It is true he would continue talking even after the initial conversation was over. Willie was attempting to re-connect, so to speak.  By then, most people  had walked away. But it was awesome to see most others either smile or respond back to Willie's initial comments.

So I decided that Willie is a litmus test for "Human Connection." And the good news is most humans will connect with Willie, if only briefly. It warmed my soul to observe this. I am so lucky to be the Mother of such a friendly guy. Someone who truly touches others just by being himself. This is Willie.

                *Dedicated to Tamara Sheen, for teaching me how truly wonderful our Willie is.*

No comments:

Post a Comment