Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Music Recital: Raising A Son With Special Needs

Every May, we are cordially invited to Willie's Music Concert by his teacher, Elsbeth Sunstein. If you cannot already tell that a music teacher from The Camphill Special School must border on magic, you must be able to by her sunny and welcoming name. Elsbeth is a beautiful, lithe woman with soft long white hair, which she wears up, and is always dressed in soft, muted, flowing white, pink or yellow attire. She is able to teach even the most disabled students to play the piano. Her voice is calm, quiet, and captivating. You just want to be near Elsbeth.

This was to be Willie's fifth concert, but his first playing the Guitar. The actual guitar playing was miraculous and full of spiritual energy. However, what I will always remember is NOT sitting with Willie, for the first time ever.

When I finally found a seat amongst the bustle of the rest of the audience, I, of course, saved one for Willie. But 5 minutes later, I finally realized that he had found his own seat, right smack in the middle of two old friends. It just so happens that both these young women are now living at Camphill Soltane, Willie's new Fall Program/Home.

As I watched him navigate his way through the concert, whispering to his friends, in an easy posture with legs crossed, I suddenly knew Willie was growing up. That his nervous presence consistently next to me during the past four Concerts, that required me to calm him down, was no longer necessary. Willie was coping with his nerves in a much more appropriate and independent manner.  Oh, I was thrilled to watch him play that guitar, but watching him sitting three rows ahead of me was the real Concert!

No comments:

Post a Comment